[TR] Replacement Title Service

wbeech wbeech at flash.net
Sat Mar 29 09:05:42 MST 2008

Irv,

Have never used any of the title services, but here are my thoughts anyway:

I presume the buyer has confirmed that a notarized bill of sale is not
enough for legal import, being that this is not for use on the public roads.

Don't know the DMV rules for IL but you should start there.  You might have
to declare the car as 'home built' and it might have to pass state safety
inspections.

If the buyer is going to drive this on the road, the safety work will have
to be done here or there, he should participate in the costs.   If he is
only going to race it, IMHO, it no more needs a title than any other piece
of machinery (but I am not in Belgium).

You could always pull the trick that some small auto-makers and importers do
and that would be to remove several vital parts (i.e. dist, starter, fuel
tank etc.) and sell them to the guy separately and classify the balance of
non-running (partially assembled) car as "Parts".

Good luck,

Bill B
'58 TR-3A TS/30766 L
'59 TR-3A TS/64974 LO