[TR] [6pack] Assorted Fastener Questions

N197TR4 at cs.com N197TR4 at cs.com
Fri Mar 28 13:30:58 MST 2008

Short response:

Typically, you will find coarse threads in cast iron.

Coarse works very well in aluminum, too, but exceptions may be seen.

I have done away with lock washers and use Loc-Tite.  (so has a major tractor
manufacturer following an extensive study)

I like Nyloc nuts...especially on things like throttle linkages.

Sometimes I like to use stainless steel cap screws. Mostly cosmetic reasons.

Tractor Supply sells some hardware by the pound...much cheaper than per piece
at ACE Hardware.

Joe A

> Having spent the past few months taking more of my car apart at the same
> time then ever before, the assortment of fasteners used has piqued my
> curiosity. I'm sure there are engineering and mechanical reasons for what's
> used but a couple of things stand out.
>
> It seems that every bolt/nut is a fine thread instead of a coarse thread and
> wonder why. Do fine threads offer more holding power because there's more
> threads per inch or are there other reasons? It seems that a fine thread
> would/could strip easier......especially in an aluminum component.
>
> There's a mishmash of bolts with Nyloc nuts & split washers and bolts with
> regular nuts and split washers. I thought maybe the Nyloc worked better in a
> component prone to vibration but....heck our whole cars vibrate! So why one
> over the other?
>
> And then there's the "modern" products to hold parts in place (red & blue
> Loctite) and anti-seize to let other parts come apart more easily. Someone
> could probably write a book on just their use!
>
> If I knew then what I know now, I would have ordered from McMaster boxes of
> bolts, nuts and washers rather then buying them locally in twosies and
> threesies! I probably would have saved 50% over the big box stores.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob.........engine and tranny going back in this week...maybe Sunday!
>
> Bob Danielson
> 1975 TR6 CF38503U
> Running w/ Throttle Body Injection
> http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org