[TR] Assorted Fastener Questions

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Fri Mar 28 12:59:02 MST 2008

Having spent the past few months taking more of my car apart at the same
time then ever before, the assortment of fasteners used has piqued my
curiosity. I'm sure there are engineering and mechanical reasons for what's
used but a couple of things stand out.

It seems that every bolt/nut is a fine thread instead of a coarse thread and
wonder why. Do fine threads offer more holding power because there's more
threads per inch or are there other reasons? It seems that a fine thread
would/could strip easier......especially in an aluminum component.

There's a mishmash of bolts with Nyloc nuts & split washers and bolts with
regular nuts and split washers. I thought maybe the Nyloc worked better in a
component prone to vibration but....heck our whole cars vibrate! So why one
over the other?

And then there's the "modern" products to hold parts in place (red & blue
Loctite) and anti-seize to let other parts come apart more easily. Someone
could probably write a book on just their use!

If I knew then what I know now, I would have ordered from McMaster boxes of
bolts, nuts and washers rather then buying them locally in twosies and
threesies! I probably would have saved 50% over the big box stores.

Thanks

Bob.........engine and tranny going back in this week...maybe Sunday!

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org