[TR] TR3A replacement "laygear" (Countershaft)

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 27 11:58:42 MST 2008

> I took the GB out over the winter and my mechanic says it's
> thrown a tooth on the Laygear (Countershaft?).   Moss & TRF
> don't seem to stock them for the 2-3A

I must be confused.  Don't you mean P/N 105625 (Moss 841-010) ?  Both
sources seem to show it as available ... TRF even has a listing for used
ones.

> but have an "improved"
> one for the 3B which I assume won't fit?

ISTR they are considerably different.  The 4-synchro version has two
separate sets of teeth for 1st and reverse (because 1st is now constant
mesh); as well as being longer overall.

> Or I could buy a used GB (without knowing its condition) and
> lose my overdrive (or xfer the o/d guts to the "new" one).

I certainly wouldn't give up the OD; it's not that hard to transfer to a
'new' box as long as you find the right mainshaft.  If you stick with
3-synchro, you can use your old mainshaft.

> Options/advise/opinions?

Another option might be to find a used 3-synchro box and rob the needed gear
from it.  There's some chance it would be bad as well, but that's not a
common failure so IMO chances are pretty good it would be OK.

Or if you like I could even take a dig through my junk box (not now though,
maybe in May), there should be several in there and likely at least one of
them is good.

Yet another option (though not one I recommend at all) is to find someone to
try to repair the gear.  Weld the tooth back up, machine it to shape, then
heat treat the whole thing.  Probably cheaper to just buy a rebuilt OD
gearbox from John Esposito or equivalent.

Randall