[TR] Leak down engine testing? {Scanned}

Aribert Neumann aribert.neumann at edag-us.com
Thu Mar 27 06:28:33 MST 2008

I want to know a bit more about a used 6 cyl engine that I have bought
before installing it.  I have never done a leak down test but have read
numerous articles on doing so.   This engine has at most 1 hr of run time
in the past year and has not been started in the previous 5 or more years.
Two of the plugs look oil fouled, the rest look OK.  Lowering a small
inspection light thru the spark plug holes, the surface (that I can see) of
the  bores look nice and shiney (no rust).   I am considering having the
head rebuilt next winter to have with hardened valve seats so that leaves
most of my focus on the bores / rings.

Questions:
How does one "lock down" the crank to keep it from rotating from the air
pressure acting on the cylinder being checked?  The articles presume one is
doing this test on an engine in a vehicle - easy enough to put the car in
gear and chock the wheels.

I own a screw in style compression tester (but I do not own (nor want to
take the time to fab) a leak down tester) - what if I try to :poor boy" it
and only pressurize each cylinder individually in succession and listen for
relative changes in the air leakage - any merit in this?  I've spent years
listening to the air flow into the DCOEs with a hose before buying a carb
flow meter on my other car.

Off in digest land awaiting your replies.  Thanks

--
believed to be clean.