[TR] TR3 hard to slide into 1st gear

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Wed Mar 26 16:13:05 MST 2008

> My wife is having difficulty in shifting her TR3 into first gear at a stop.

Kent, like everyone else on the list with a similar tranny, I have the same experience.  And like the others, I drop the lever into second, then move it to first.  And like the others, this doesn't work 100 percent of the time.  What DOES help, though, is when braking for the red light and rolling to a slow stop in second gear, gently feel for first gear before the wheels have come to an absolute stop, but after the point when the gears grind.  Then, bring it back into neutral for the light, and it should be lined up for the green light when it pops.  Even this doesn't seem to always work, but seems to improve things.

And when the impatient drivers behind you get REALLY annoying, get your car up to speed and, if the top is down, cough hard and spit straight up into the air.  Tailgaters tend to back off as this new form of insect wipes out on their windshield.  [But don't tell your 11 year old son this, or he will practice on every car that is unfortunate enough to pull in behind you....  :o)]

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hamshire