[TR] battery recommendations

nwolf at u.washington.edu nwolf at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 26 11:52:34 MST 2008

> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:55:01 -0700
> From: "Randall" <tr3driver at ca.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [TR] battery recommendations
>
> > What is the consensus for a new battery for my MK1 GT6? I obviously
> > want something that fits properly without having to change/extend
> > cables, but also want something that will last, will start the car
>
> Take your old battery to Wally-mart and say "I want one of these".
>
> >  and won't look stupid in the engine compartment.
>
> Matter of opinion I guess ... to me, a Lucas battery "looks stupid", while
> anything that will reliably start the car looks smart.
>
> Randall

   Matter of opinion indeed.  Unless you are of the opinion that rust is cool, get yourself a sealed battery like an Optima.  If you don't like the appearance, shells are available to make it look like a vintage battery.  Why do so many people spend thousands on a restoration and then plop a leaky box of acid right in the middle?  Makes no sense to me.
   You pay a bit more for sealed, but you get a battery that weighs less than the original, has more power, and won't leak.  Totally worth it, in my opinion.  I've seen way too many nice cars with holes in the battery tray.  Make it stop!  :)
   NFI, yada yada.

-Nick Wolf
'62-ish TR4
'70 BMW 2002
both with Optima red-tops, zero problems