[TR] blasting media

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Mon Mar 24 15:28:38 MST 2008

Frank,
I can offer my experiences with different blast media for what it's worth.

A lot of what I have to offer is very subjective as Black Beauty vs.,
glass beads vs., aluminum oxide vs. sand..
Your application and how you are using it is important in the final
decision.
I will assume you are using some kind of blast cabinet.

The cheapest media I have found to use is Black Beauty. However, if you are
used
to the results you get with glass beads, you will be disappointed in your
results using
Black Beauty. Just my opinion Fred!! Even so, unless you are cleaning an
intake manifold
or something that will remain a "bare finish" who cares what it looks like
as long as it is
clean enough to paint or powder coat? There's that subjective thing again..

If you want to strip metal of finishes and especially rust, and especially a
ferrous metal,
go with the aluminum oxide. Aluminum oxide is probably the most expensive
media but you get
what you pay for in speed of removal. If you are used to using glass beads
to strip rust,
you will be pleasantly surprised as to how fast aluminum oxide strips rust.
You can get away with a smaller compressor using aluminum oxide as it will
take less time to
clean that part using Aluminum Oxide.

Sand is probably cheaper than Black Beauty but is by far the most dangerous
due to the
health risks. In my humble opinion, it isn't worth considering at all. If
you are using an
open air blast method, definitely don't use sand. Not just for your own
health but everyone around
the area you are blasting in.

If you are cleaning aluminum castings, you just can't beat glass beads.
Hands down, it is the best.

Hope this helps,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A