[TR] SS brake prep?

fishplate at charter.net fishplate at charter.net
Mon Mar 24 08:39:11 MST 2008

---- tom white <tswhitez123 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Why aren't you fellows using teflon tape on your fittings?

I would be leery of the tape (or the pipe dope, for that matter) getting into the hydraulic system.   Chances are it'll never be a problem, but at best I'd be very careful to only put it on the threads - never on the flare part.

Admittedly I've never uses SS brake pipes, but I've been doing this for 35 years now and I've ~never~ needed to seal a brake fitting with anything other than proper installation and torque.  When I put SS braided hoses on my cars last year, I put a tiny dab of ati-sieze compound on the threads to prevent galling, but not in a way that it could get near the end of the fitting.

Jeff Scarbrough
Schmieraffe, Ga.
Spitfires and a TR6 (and VWs, and Volvos, and a Ford or two, and...)