[TR] SS brake prep?

Kevin Thompson kthompson at whoi.edu
Mon Mar 24 08:28:35 MST 2008

   Be very careful when using teflon tape around any type of pump or hydraulic
system, or on anything where a piece of tape can clog a small orifice. I know
that many hydraulic pump manufacturers will void a warranty where teflon tape
has been used due to this exact problem. My experience in the plumbing/heating
field has shown me that paste is a better bet than tape. As far as tightening,
or overtightening brake line fittings goes: A general rule of thumb would
be.....tighten it enough to stop a leak. You can always snug it up more, but
if it's overtightened you'll strip threads, mash the flares, or crack the
fitting. Then it's too late. And I'd be quite wary of using a dremel tool to
"polish" the flares, as there's a good chance of warping the curved fitting
and actually making more problems with the fittings. If they're new lines,
with new fittings, then they should simply go together and be done with.
Sometimes we tend to go overboard with re-inventing the wheel with this stuff.
BTW, the teflon tape should be used sparingly, and only to stop possible
galling on the threads. The metal contact on the flare fitting itself is what
keep the joint tight, not the teflon.
   Good luck,
Kevin T
'76 TR6