[TR] Transmission Locating Dowels

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Mar 23 09:44:56 MST 2008

Mike Moore wrote :

> He spent a lot of time and money to make sure those dowel pin
> holes are located accurately relative to the center of the
> crankshaft.

Yes, of course.  This is the most difficult part of making such an adapter,
and it has to be just right or the resulting setup will have severe
problems.

> The attachment  holes for the bellhousing to the
> engine block are large diameter and relatively loose
> tolerance holes. I say "relative" compared to the dowelpin
> holes.

Very good point, I neglected to mention that.  There are only two precision
holes, and they are the ones that must receive either dowels or dowel-bolts.
But, they are reasonably obvious, since the attachment bolts are 5/16"
(except for the two for the starter).

> His design, like  the factory design depends on the
> tight fitting dowel pin  holes to properly align the
> transmission. A likely problem will be clutch  failures if it
> is not accurately aligned.

I agree entirely.

Randall