[TR] Apologies for the mail filter, and a question about carbs

Geo & Kathleen Hahn ahwahnee at cybertrails.com
Fri Mar 21 19:28:03 MST 2008

The breather I was referring to in the narrative was an aftermarket thingy
that someone had installed on the drivers side (LHD) of the valve cover.
You can just barely see it in the pic.  They had cut a hole in the valve
cover and a chrome fixture with a breather cap was in place.

Obviously not needed on your 3 as the oil fill cap breathes as well as you
have a road draft tube.

I replaced the valve cover on my 4 and eliminated that hole & fixture --
then I figured out why they did that.  IMO that little tube (on the late 4s)
that connects to the air cleaners is not really adequate to make up for a
sealed fill cap and sealed crankcase -- I was pushing oil out of every pore.

In the end I added a road draft tube and lose less oil than when everything
was sealed up (at least that is how it appears looking at the garage floor).

Geo