[TR] TR3 back up light question

Alex ambritts at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 18 19:24:48 MST 2008

Hi Jerry,
This is a pretty easy task. Easily made automatic. My TR3A has a Lucas
period reverse light that I added and made it automatic. The Lucas light
lights up a 100 foot driveway beautifully, Here's how you do it. (If you
need a picture, let me know) First off, a simple "L" bracket that attaches
to the fastening bolt of the tranny just below the shifter arm. The bracket
comes up on a slight angle and finishes off just behind the and below the
shifter extension. Attached to this is a $5 TR6 brake switch. The brake
switch works just like it would in a TR6 brake position. When you shift into
reverse the shift bar either engages the switch or releases it (I cannot
remember off hand). The wiring is straight forward, just like in a TR6. Very
simple and cheap. You will have to figure the height and angle of the
bracket. The switch you can get at the big 3 or NAPA.
Alex Manzo
59 TR3A (with a Lucas backup light and Lucas rear fog light)
72 TR6