[TR] Spit--dragging brake caliper

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at charter.net
Tue Mar 18 15:01:25 MST 2008

At 05:25 PM 3/18/2008, Tim Gaines wrote:

>  Am
>I looking at a brake caliper problem for sure, or could there be
>something simpler (less expensive) at fault?

Sure...lots of things to go wrong.  <g>

>  Is it possible for air
>in the line to affect one side that way?

Probably not.

>   Even if the PDWA valve
>isn't centered, it wouldn't affect left-right brake action, would it?

It shouldn't.

>Believe me, I'm going to try to bleed the system before doing
>anything else, but is there any chance that I will cure the drag by
>doing that?

Could be...

Here's what I would do, assuming the fault is consistent:  Drive the
car until the brakes are warmed up and dragging.  Then jack up the
front wheel and verify the fault and location.  In toher words, make
sure the wheel is really dragging.

Once verified, then while the wheel is dragging, open the bleed screw
- if the wheel then turns free, it's most likely not the caliper but
a brake hose, or other fault preventing the fluif from returning.  If
the wheel still drags, then you likely have a bad caliper.  To make
sure, check the end float on the wheel bearings once the caliper is
out of the way.

Jeff Scarbrough      75 TR6 x 1, 76 1500 x 2, 78 1500 x 1, 80 1500 x 0.5
http://www.fishplate.org/vehicles/spitfire/
Athens, Georgia         #354