[TR] Run out conclusion. -Related question

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Mar 17 11:20:17 MST 2008

> > Should I just try the die grinder with the hub on the car?
>
> No.  Unless the spindle is immobilized and you have a
> precision method of keeping the grinder on a straight path in
> a plane perpendicular to the axle axis, you have little hope
> of success.  Rotating the hub 180 degrees from the indicator
> to a spot where you could grind a little and then back to
> check might take you ten years.  It would take me a hundred years.

I think you guys are making this harder than necessary.  Remove the studs &
the seal, then mount the hub on the spindle and pull the bearings up to no
clearance.  Spin the hub and mark with chalk to find the high spot.
Carefully file away the chalk using a machinist's (flat) file, then repeat
as necessary.

Yes, it will take some time, but no worse than having to machine mandrels
and whatnot, plus can be even more accurate (tho for best accuracy, a dial
indicator would work better than chalk).

To do it on a lathe, put in the inner races then mount the hub between
centers.  Even though the taper of the centers won't match the taper of the
races, it should locate the hub very well.

But no die grinder in either case !

Randall