[TR] Run out conclusion. (long)

tom white tswhitez123 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 14 07:37:11 MST 2008

I have resolved the shimmy in my front end.  Along the way I corrected several
problems.  The first was run out in my hubs.  Thanks to the list I had the
mounting surfaces of the hubs trued.  Then I discovered that my grease seals
had to be firmly seated to prevent run out in the hubs.

Next came the wheels.  I mounted them and measured the run out with a dial
indicator gauge.  Every time the gauge changed directions I marked the wheel
with the run out number.  Then I marked the mounting areas on the back of the
wheel where the run out was excessive (Over 0.010).  I then ground the
mounting surfaces on the wheels that corresponded to the high run out areas.
I used a pneumatic sander to do the grinding.  I got the wheels down to 0.025
run out this way.

I then took the wheels to be balanced at my usual tire store.  They again
presented problems on their balancing machine.  Their machine is the newest
kind that actually mount five pins into the lug bolt holes.  So I took the
wheels to another shop that had an older machine that only mounted at the
center hole of the rim.  There I got a different result.

The problem I have had was caused by the powder coating on my wheels.  I had
removed the powder coating from the mounting surface on the back of the wheels
but I didn't remove it from the center hole or the lug nut holes.  I removed
the powder coating from those areas and took the wheels back to the second
shop for rebalancing.  Once cleaned the balance changed and took a half once
off of the weight needed.

I mounted the wheels and went for a test drive.  The car has no shimmy in it
anymore and steers like a Cadillac.

Best regards,
Tom