[TR] Trunnions later TR4 with 3 degree caster

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Mar 14 05:24:02 MST 2008

In a message dated 3/14/2008 1:19:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:
> >I also assume that the 0 and 3 degree trunnions
> >look different. If they do can someone tell me if there is a
> >photo somewhere of the different types
>
> Jim, I don't have a photo, but the 3 different trunnions (0 degree, 3 degree
> left, 3 degree right) look virtually identical.  To see the difference, you
> must look closely at the angle between the pins that stick out, and the
> threaded bore for the vertical link.  With the 3 degree versions, you can
> just barely see that the bore tilts a bit relative to the pins.  If memory
> serves, it tilts to the rear (of the car).

In addition, the 3 deg right and 3 deg left have opposite handed threads.
That means you can't fit 0 degree trunions to both sides without swapping out
vertical links.  (I expect the 0 deg trunion will fit one or the other but I'm
not sure of that either)  It is still a possibility, however.  My TR6 had two 3
deg left trunions on it.  A PO had fitted up a left hand vertical link and
trunion on the right side (probably after an accident) which made for some
really bizarre handling.  Once I got that sorted out handling improved greatly.

It is possible that you have early trunions and later upper arms which
weren't meant to work together.  Sometimes mix-n-match doesn't work so well.

Dave