[TR] TR4 Rubber Steering Coupler Tale

Doug Mathews mathews at uga.edu
Mon Mar 10 17:54:04 MST 2008

Got to share this.....

When I was younger and dumber (still not the oldest brightest bulb
around), I bought a 64TR4 around 1980 and drove it all over. Still
have it. I knew the steering had some play and I had noticed the
steering shaft coupler was just meshed together and not connected. I
guessed it was made that way. I took trips up trough the NC mountains
and on some stretches down hill, I'd get up to over 100 coasting.
One night after a football game in Athens, I was on the way home
(yes, I had imbibed a little too) and  when I started from a red
light and turned right to head home, the darn car sort went straight
midway through the turn.  The policeman directing traffic had to move
out of the way as I put on brakes and slowly drove up over the curb.
He came over to see what I was up to and when I showed him how my
steering wheel could go in circles, he said I had 2 choices....leave
the car there and walk home (about a mile) or he'd have someone take
me downtown to spend the night.

I took the first option!

Doug