[TR] TR6 "Clanky" rearend

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Mon Mar 10 14:03:03 MST 2008

In a message dated 3/9/2008 6:12:55 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dmnlaw at peoplepc.com writes:

If I do  it fast I get the annoying metallic clank.

Doug,

If I'm not real gentle or patient, my TR6 diff also has metallic click
mostly between 1st gear and reverse (backing up then going forward)....half
shafts, U Joints, etc. were all replaced during restoration......the noise is
coming from a bit of excessive end play in the diff.  It's really not as  bad as my
Chevy truck's diff which has "clicked" since new under much the same
conditions.....I'm certain that a competent diff/axle shop can rebuild your diff  to
silence the end-play but, IMHO, if it isn't whining, grinding or making other
horrible noises, try the synthetic or GL4 gear oil suggestions and go easy on
 it!

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA