[TR] [6pack] Synthetic Oil Engine Damage

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Mon Mar 10 08:52:57 MST 2008

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 DLylis at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/9/2008 12:34:07 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> bratt at sasktel.net writes:
>
> A local  mechanic who runs an auto wreckers washes out the crud on resalable
> cars  by filling the sump with 15W40 Diesel Spec. oil, and running it for a
> few  hundred miles.  The extra detergents in the Diesel Oil wash out the
> accumulated crud and sludge.  I figured that would be pretty had on  the
> bearings and cylinder walls.
>

> What say the list?  Lots of LBC owners have switched to  Shell Rotella for
> the ZDDP.

Look carefully at the label. Rotella changed recently to a new spec, I
think it's CL-4 or something like that. They have reduced the ZDDP in the
Rotella too.

On the plus side, several oil companies have recently indicated that they
will release motor oil products for gasoline engines that have higher
levels of ZDDP - these will be marketied as racing oils...

If you can't wait, there's good products out there already. Most cater to
the racing community (Like RedLine, Valvoline Racing and Brad Penn and
others)

> David  Lylis
> 69 TR6 CC26160L
> 60 TR3A TS74461LO