[TR] Why not FLAPS brake lines?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Mar 9 23:08:30 MST 2008

> I think I have removed all my brake lines carefully during
> last year's tear-down.  Is there any logical reason I
> cannot/should not clean, paint & re-install them?

Not too long ago, Bill, I would have said "No".  But a recent experience
convinced me otherwise.  I was pawing through a box of original brake parts
(saved from long-ago parts cars, in dry storage for over 30 years).  Found
the piece I was looking for (from the MC to the clutch slave), grabbed it
and pulled (not too hard) to get it out from under the other junk in the
box.  It snapped !  No signs of corrosion at all, it still looks very good
... except for being in two pieces !

That, plus an experience nearly 30 years ago similar to Teri Ann's (line
rusted through while car was in storage ... cost me the car) has made a
believer out of me.  I'm putting new lines on TS13571L.

BTW, I believe the copper-colored lines from Moss are not "refrigerator
tubing", but a special corrosion-resistant copper/nickel/iron alloy.  One
brand is "Cunifer", there are others.  It's use was pioneered by Volvo back
in 1976 and AFAIK is still in use today by the likes of Porsche, Audi and
Volvo.  As I understand it, it is even less prone to work-hardening than the
US-standard steel "Bundy" tubing, and has the big advantage that abrasion
won't cause it to start rusting.  The US-standard lines rely on a relatively
soft coating to stop rust, which doesn't always work.

See
http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=faq
for more info.

Randall