[TR] 80 TR8 - Delco Alternator - engine wiring harness

McGaheyRx at aol.com McGaheyRx at aol.com
Fri Mar 7 10:28:22 MST 2008

In a message dated 3/7/2008 10:26:39 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:

If the  large brown was absent or not connected; and the small brown
connected to  the output terminal, that would explain why it burned.  That
would  have it carrying the full output of the alternator to the battery/rest
of  car; but it is sized only as a 'sense' lead to bring battery voltage to
the  voltage regulator inside the alternator.

> So my question is  wouldn't things work just as well if I
> connect the  small brown  wire to "2" on the Delco - without
> it also connected to the  output  bolt terminal?

Assuming you do have the heavy brown wire,  I believe that would be better.

BTW, the brown/yellow should just go to  the warning lamp on the dash,
meaning it carries very little current.   Likely it was damaged only by
proximity to the burned small brown  wire.

The large brown wire is/has been present and connected properly - I'm  sure
you're right about the small brown/yellow wire's reason for replacement - I
have no idea why the small brown wire burned so completely in the harness unless
 something wasn't initially wired correctly when the conversion was done -
any  thoughts on that?

BTW I'm replacing the engine harness because the solenoid failed to pull  in
the starter about 1 out of 5 start attempts and recently power to the fuel
pump thru the oil pressure switch circuit began to fail intermittently when the
car was hot - the old engine harness is a real mess - I'm surprised now  that
it functioned as long as it did.

Thanks,
Jack Mc