[TR] TR6 Oil Consumption

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 6 15:34:55 MST 2008

> My 74' TR6 consumes one quart of oil every 200 miles. My
> compression ranges from 165 to 180 per cylinder.  Does this
> indicate that my valve guides are worn. When I first crank
> the engine after it has been sitting over night the engine
> does not smoke. However, when I accelerate from a stop I
> notice some fumes in my rear view mirror.

Typically, leaking valve guides are more noticeable on deceleration.  The
classic symptom is a puff of blue each time you shift, as the momentarily
high manifold vacuum pulls more oil past the intake stems.

Hard to be sure from your symptoms, but I would be looking for oil being
carried through the crankcase ventilation system.

Does your engine by any chance have the external oil supply to the head
installed ?

Randall