[TR] Rear Wheel Axles and Front Grease Caps

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 6 03:42:52 MST 2008

> I've disassembled my project down to the chassis for quite
> some time.  I was cleaning up the rear axles and noticed that
> I can't make them rotate.
> They're locked.  I've removed the brake lines, does that do
> anything to make them lock?  Do I need to repack the grease seal?

I would guess brakes causing the lock ... but if the bearing is that bad, it
will take much more than a shot of grease to make it better.  Have you tried
backing the adjuster off all the way, and removing the drum ?

> I also am trying to replace the front rotors, and I can't
> remove the grease caps.  Any ideas?  I just can't get a grip
> on it to pull it off.

In extreme cases, it may be necessary to destroy the cap to get it off.  One
way is to use a center punch and hammer around the sides of it, to work it
out.  The sharp punch will dig into the metal instead of slipping off.
Fortunately new caps are not expensive.

Randall