[TR] GPS systems (non-Triumph)

Joe Merone jmerone at rocketmail.com
Mon Mar 3 07:57:23 MST 2008

For what it's worth, I purchased a Garmin GPS system for my father for his birthday.  When he and my mother then went to Europe for a driving vacation he purchased the European road map plug-and-play chip for an additional $200+.  Plug and play my butt.  Although it's supposed to be simple, you don't know if it even works at all until you actually get to Europe and turn it on.  Bad chip - it could never acquire the signal.  So for three weeks they had to lug this thing around the continent constantly reminded that it sucked.

But the story gets better...

When they get back I tried to return it to where I purchased it - Buy.com.  I didn't want it exchanged or fixed as the trip was over and the chip useless.  Nope.  Their return policy is good for a measly 14 days!  Their customer service is the worst.  They only deal in e-mails (no phones), couldn't comprehend or begin to understand the situation, and just keep pointing to their return policy.  I took it as high up the food chain as I could (a lost in translation nightmare BTW), then disputed it with my credit card company.  They did fight the good fight, but in the end Buy.com wouldn't budge.

Two NO votes for Garmin and Buy.com.  Food for thought.

Joe Merone
CF18928 5-speed