[TR] 205/70-15 tire pressure

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Sun Jun 29 11:09:10 MDT 2008

Let us analyze the front tire pressure situation for a minute.

If you are looking at the pressure only as it affects the suspension
stiffness, stiffer up front increases understeer.  So adding pressure adds
to Understeer not oversteer.

But you can't simply use that equation because the tire profile and rubber
patch has a lot to do with it.  Obviously, you want to create the best
possible contact patch to get the best handling performance.

On low profile tires, this is highly dependent on what the manufacturer
recommends.  If you go too high in pressure, you will reduce the contact
patch and grip and in that situation your steering will go away (Understeer)

In the event that the pressure is too low, your tires will roll over on the
sidewall in hard turns also reducing the contact patch.

Joe