[TR] TR3 trailer towing/design

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Mon Jun 23 12:42:05 MDT 2008

From: "Nolan" <opposumking at verizon.net>
> A trailer sways because its nose is pointing one way, and then the other.
> This can be from weak trailer tire sidewalls (low tire pressure), sloppy
> trailer suspension (common), wiggly hitch mount, and inadequate tires on the
> tow vehicle (very common).
>
> Various factors can increase the swaying tendancy.  The shorter the distance
> between the hitch and the trailer axle(s), the more likely the trailwer will
> sway.  As well extending the load out from the centroid of the trailer
> axle(s).  Distance from the hitch to the tow vehicle rear axle rapidly
> increases leverage on the tow vehicle tires, creating lots of neat sway
> problems.
>
> The 10% tongue weight rule of thumb is simply a means of helping ensure you
> don't load the trailer in a manner that exasurbates the swaying tendancy.
> Far more important is to ensure the causes of sway are addressed.  Many an
> otherwise stable trailer sways because the tow vehicle has weak sidewall
> tires and low tire pressure, and I'm not talking about just the rear tires.

Absolutely.  Truck tires instead of car tires on the tow vehicle helps, too.  Stiffer sidewalls.

Maybe a Panhard rod if your leaf-spring truck has side-flex issues.

When you start a left turn in your truck, your trailer actually steers right.  Short truck overhang and long trailer-wheel distance minimizes this.

That's why fifth-wheels tow so nicely:  When you start a left turn in your truck, your trailer actually steers left.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,