[TR] I broke the electrical system - I let the smoke get out of the line.

Jerrold Le Tourneau jerrold.letourneau at verizon.net
Sun Jun 22 19:06:11 MDT 2008

Hello -

Appreciate all the helpful advice in helping me get my GT6 going again.
After I replaced the starter with a rebuilt unit and still had the same
problem of the starter just spinning and not engaging the flywheel.  I
was jumping the battery with a charger that has boost setting for
starting.  Still couldn't get the starter to engage and after several
attempts couldn't coax any signs of life from the ignition system.  I
think my battery booster died in the process because I know longer had a
booster reading on the unit. So I bit the bullet and bought a new
battery.   That did it , the starter engaged the flywheel, a couple of
shots of starting fluid in the carbs and the car came to life.  It blew
out a lot of smoke -- Marvel Mystery oil and purred sweetly after
warming up.  I ran the car for a bit  and took it to the gas station to
treat it  fresh fuel.  Brought it back home where upon the car decided
to die in my driveway.

I could not get it to start again.  Thought maybe it was a loose battery
cable so I popped the bonnet and checked everything.  All seemed tight
but I did notice the positive terminal on the battery was rather warm.
When I tried to start the car I saw a puff of smoke from the positive
battery terminal.  So I disconnected it  -  damn connector was too hot
to touch!   Not sure if it's related but when I was driving I noticed my
temperature gauge was pegged HOT immediately after starting.  Usually
the temp gauge shows the temp at about 3/4 hot but today it was off the
scale.

So, it appears I have ignition gremlin to chase.  I am guessing the
solenoid for I am not sure what else would cause the battery terminal to
get so hot.  And I mean burning hot, makes me fear that I am going to
have an electrical fire.  Any ideas?

Jerry
68 GT6 Mk1

That's not an oil leak under my car.  It's only marking it's territory.