[TR] Wheel Camber & alignment TR3A

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jun 21 14:55:25 MDT 2008

> He indicated the left side has too much positive camber
> 1.5 degrees the right side is .5 degrees.

Makes me wonder how he got that reputation ... the specification for a TR3
is 2 degrees positive.  IOW, the problem is that the right side has too
little camber, rather than the left having too much.

> Do the stub axles need to be replaced?

It's possible, but unlikely IMO.  If the stub axles were actually "worn",
then you should notice the extra play in the bearings.  Even 0.5 degrees
worth of wear would translate to almost 1/4" of movement at the treads; and
hopefully someone checked that before even starting to do an alignment.

Bending is more likely than wear, but still not likely IMO.

> I would think if the camber is off, then the vertical link
> (moss#661-100) may be bent or out of aligned. Any insight?

That is another possibility.

But my first thought would be to check for play or distortion in all the
bushings.  Did your rebuild include new trunnions and brass bushings in the
A-arms ?  Etc.

Are you sure the upper pivots are installed the same on both sides?

Next I'd think about damage to the pivots, especially where the lower ones
attach to the frame.  I had a TR3A once where a lower pivot pulled
completely out of the frame (due to rust, mostly).  Drove it that way for
several months before I figured out the problem.  And then the shop I paid
to weld it back together didn't get the pivot in the right place!

Also check to be sure the cross-tube between the suspension towers is not
bent or improperly installed.

The vertical links interchange from side-to-side, so if you want to prove it
is (not) the link, try swapping them.  If the problem follows the link, it
must be the link or stub axle.

Randall