[TR] Trailer Physics

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 21 12:45:35 MDT 2008

I've been watching this thread with interest as when I'm not fiddling about with Triumphs, writing
or talking about them - my wife and I like to spend as much time as we can in our trailer home
somewhere in the UK. Mostly we do this at weekends. To input further comment on this thread, its a
widely accepted practise in the UK and Europe that for safe towing - whether a caravan (trailer
home) or a simple trailer, the following facts are observed:

1. A four wheeled trailer is better than a two wheeled trailer. The two extra wheels give valuable
extra stability, especially in cross winds.
2. The all-up weight of whatever is on the towbar should not be more than 80% of the towing vehicle
weight. A 90% weight is about the maximum. The police tend to take a strong interest in any heavy
load that looks heavier than the tow vehicle.
3. If the towed load exceeds 350lbs total weight (including trailer weight) the trailer must have
its own braking system. Usually this is a mechanical set-up activated by the telescoping action of
the towhitch on the vehicle towball.
4. Trailer noseweight (the downward thrust on the car towball) should be between 70-100 kgs
(140-200lbs approx). You can easily calculate this by placing a set of bathroom scales under the
trailer tow hitch and supporting it with a piece of 3"x3" timber.
5. The load in the caravan or on the trailer should be placed ideally over the trailer axles and
slightly nose heavy and calculated as in 4 above.
6. Speed is restricted to a maximum of 60mph.
7. Trailer tyres should never be the same as car tyres. You need considerable extra strength in the
side walls. Mine are 8 ply steel and I change them every five years.

I have two trailer homes and a small household trailer, all of which are used regularly. While I
always carefully check total trailer weight, load position and towball downthrust, all my trailers
are fitted with an additional anti-snaking device that I can transfer from one unit to another. Even
with a properly loaded trailer or caravan, snaking is often encountered by the suction effect of
passing trucks and buses and my Bulldog set-up stops it even starting. Happily, all larger trailers
and all caravans are now fitted as standard with an anti-snake lock when delivered from the factory.

FWIW....

Jonmac