[TR] installing a u-joint

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Wed Jun 18 12:08:32 MDT 2008

> minimize the pounding as much as  possible.

Never, ever, ever, EVER pound while installing a U joint. If you're
pounding the joint in, you're just going to have to change it again.
That's fine if you're stuck on the side of the road, but not doing the
job in your garage.

I use sockets both as a receiver to support the flange and a driver to
push the cup in or out. In my early days of britcar wrenching, I did
this in my 4" bench vise; a few years back I finally bought a small
arbor press and now use that.

If the cup resists smooth motion, it's in cockeyed.

Let me say that again: if the cup resists smooth motion, it's in
cockeyed. Stop what you're doing, pop the cup out, clean up the bore and
get the cup in straight and try again.