[TR] Sudden change in idle

William L. Smith smithw1 at optonline.net
Thu Jun 12 16:17:57 MDT 2008

Terry,

I don't know if you've found the cause yet, but I had a similar problem
about 5 years ago.  By accident, I found out that the problem was stale gas
(I had last filled up during the late fall/winter when they were using a
winter formulation here in NJ).  On my way to my favorite Triumph mechanic
to get the problem diagnosed, I realized the tank was low on gas so I
stopped to fill up.  As soon as I pulled away from the gas station, my
idle/stalling problem was gone.

If you filled up recently, it's also possible that you got some bad gas.
That happened to me once, and also to my daughter-in-law.

Bill Smith

'72 TR6

'80 TR7