[TR] Sudden Idle Change

GHaynesTR4 at aol.com GHaynesTR4 at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 09:41:18 MDT 2008

Terry, et al,
Is there some chance that you are experiencing boiling of the fuel in your
carbs?   Runs great, then idles poorly and stalls fairly quickly.

I have been having a similar problem with an MGA and we can see fuel bubbling
up from the jets after removing domes and pistons to peek in.   We are also
experiencing the recent heatwave in the Northeast, ie, 90 degrees or more.

We have been brainstorming the problem and solution and believe gasoline with
10 percent Ethynol (sp?) has a lower boiling point than fuel with no Ethynol
content.   I had a similar problem about ten years ago and could also see the
fuel boiling in the (Weber) carb.   It went away after the suspect fuel was
run thru and replaced with "undiluted" gasoline.

First thing we're gonna do is replace the existing fuel in the MGA and see if
the problem goes away.
I'll report back on this in a few days.

Would someone jump in here and give us more details about these modern fuels?

George Haynes