[TR] Smoking TR3 after replacing Head Gasket

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 06:17:45 MDT 2008

Allan,

This doesn't sound good to me.  Back in the early 70's when  I replaced a
head gasket on my old MGB for the first time it ran great for  3 days then
started smoking again like a Stanley Steamer.  Off went the  head and upon closer
inspection I found a small crack between two  cylinders.....very small, hard to
see but under a good light it was there.   What did I learn from
this!!??......check the head very carefully - better yet  have it magnafluxed by a shop
before finishing the job.  There's a  reason why head gaskets fail and quite
often it's not solely the gasket's fault  (unless you owned a Ford Taurus but
that's another story that will never need to  be repeated thanks to ownership of a
quality automobile from an Asian  manufacturer).

Check the head!!!

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA
1976 TR6  CF57822U

In a message dated 6/9/2008 3:01:43 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,