[TR] [6pack] starter or battery

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Sun Jun 8 12:42:31 MDT 2008

Mark,
I just went through this last week and here's what the List suggested I
test.

1. Turn on the lights and turn key to run position.  If the Lights go out,
you've got a short either in the starter or the cabling. You can then narrow
it down by removing the 3 big main wires off of the starter post and tie
them together with a bolt. Lights on again, key to run position and check if
lights go off. If they don't your starter is bad. If they do, you've got a
short in your cables.
2. Test all battery readings the starter end of the cables as opposed to
just putting your meter on the battery terminals.
3. check the voltage at the WR wire where it leaves the starter relay for
the starter, while a helper holds the key to the start position.  If you see
12v here, check again directly at the starter, both from the terminal that
gets the WR wire to the starter housing, and from the end of the big stud
that gets the battery cable to the housing.  If you still find 12v in both
places, the starter/solenoid is bad.

In my case just doing step #1 isolated the problem to a short in the
starter. Plus the smoke coming out of the starter was a dead give-away. Once
I got the starter out I clamped it in a vice and hooked a battery to it. The
gear jumped but wouldn't spin.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection