[TR] starter or battery

Mark Hooper mhooper at digiscreen.ca
Sun Jun 8 07:25:12 MDT 2008

Now that the nice warm weather is here my TR6 has suddenly decided to give me
a headache.

I've got a problem either with battery or starter.

When I turn the key to start position I'm getting a loudish chattering about
4-5 times a second. It sounds like a small jack-hammer under the bonnet.

Yesterday everything was fine as I started her up perfectly normally and
backed her out the garage for a wash. When time came to go, very little at
all., just a clicking noise when I tried to start. I put the charger on all
night and now the chattering is loud.

So I don't know whether the battery is toast, or the starter solenoid is doing
something well known.

Original 1972 starter on the car.

Cheers,

Mark