[TR] Engine Swaps

David Ljung Madison team.net at daveola.com
Fri Jun 6 13:00:22 MDT 2008

> This was just posted on the MG list...purist beware....
> http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Triumph-TR3-Plus-4.htm

Interesting - good looking car, would love to get more info on
how it drives, since it looks like it's fairly close to being
drivable.

What I don't understand, though, is why he cannibalized a
"straight, rust-free" vintage TR3.  I'm not a purist, but
he has replaced the chassis, suspension, seats, interior,
engine, electrical system, transmission cover (and presumably
the transmission as well?).

It seems there's not much left besides the body panels, and
I would guess you could buy a complete new set of body panels
for about $10k, perhaps (with a few panels needing to be salvaged
from dead cars).   I'm guessing that a "straight, rust-free"
TR3 from California would be over $10k, and the panels are
not in new shape (though he didn't say much about the donor
car, I suppose the engine/chassis/transmission might have
been cheap).

But it seems to me for the same price he could have bought
replacement panels, had mostly new metal for the body, and
not unnecessarily removed a TR3 from the road??

It would be interesting to get more info on his buying decisions.

Again, not that I'm a purist, seeing as how my car has plenty
of conversions to it already.  :)

Dave