[TR] TR4 unrestored?

CarlSereda at aol.com CarlSereda at aol.com
Thu Jun 5 21:17:31 MDT 2008

well my doubts about the 'unrestored' TR4 on eBay were:
1) front bumper overiders in wrong position
2) aftermarket looking wood dash & custom radio blank
3) new looking top dash
4) new seats (as well as entire interior & roof)
5) fresh (enough) aftermarket seatbelts
6) TR250 radiator fan? (or the rare TR4A plastic?)
7) aftermarket spin-on oil filter
8) missing authentic smog equip
9) jet-coated exhaust manifold
10) show quality valve cover
11) better performing MGB distributor cap & wires
12) new looking radiator shroud
13) carb domes polished
14) new painted exterior?
15) performance engine coil
16) all modern hose clamps
17) new battery cables & factory approved solenoid relocation!
18) new mufflers
19) deluxe steering wheel cover
20) windsheild wind-wings
21) wheel well underside condition (the bit you can see) - 42 yrs old?
22) non-rotted windsheild glass seal and base seal,
23) door seals look fresh too
shoot I ran out before I hit 24
but after talking to the owner just now - well, I thought motor might be
rebuilt - he said no smoke, no wierd noises, but then he said carbs running a bit
rich.. wondering; could 'blow-by' be causing this so called richness? - I see
he's directing crankcase gasses into intake manifold with modern hose/valve.
If richness can't be reduced - can it be an original 91,000 mile problem? (yes)
He says the previous owner; a guy (with his wife and the TR4, no kids, living
out in the boonies) made all the updates and maintained it after was
delivered from CA. It's a live axle version.
Maybe it IS an 'unrestored' TR4 - it's certainly well maintained and quite a
bit rebuilt - but now I'm curious as to engine compression.. still, great rest
of the car!
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

<< I'm curious what those doubts are.  There have been some obvious changes

that one may or may not regard as maintenance or restoration, but are there

clues that the paint, chrome and interior are not original?

Geo >>

<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch
"Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.<BR>
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&NCID=aolfod00030000000002)</HTML>