[TR] TR3A upper ball join lubrication

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 5 08:59:08 MDT 2008

Somehow, replacing a part just so you can extend it's life seems
counter-intuitive to me.  I'd probably just leave it alone, until the
(defective) joint wears out, and then replace it with a good one.  The
grease you've put on top of the ball should work it's way into the joint as
you drive the car.

But you should be able to change the ball joint without removing the spring.
I used to take mine loose all the time, to replace those pesky short-lived
rubber bushings in the inner pivots.  Just support the suspension a bit
(jack and block of wood behind the trunnion) while you undo the nut that
holds it to the upper A-arms (to get clearance to remove the nut).  Then you
can pull the vertical link out enough to work on the nut that holds the ball
joint to the vertical link.  Not sure if there is room to get in there with
the "3 finger" separator; if not, use the 2 hammer approach.

You might try using a BFH to peen the corner of the casting down onto the
top cover.
Or, you could try cleaning it up really good, and laying a bead of JB Weld
around the seam between the top cover and the casting.  I doubt that would
work, but it might be worth a try.

Yet another approach might be to pull a corner of the boot down and use a
grease needle to fill the boot with grease.  That should work it's way up
into the joint as you drive.

Randall