[TR] trunnions outer washer

Jim and Andreas Vassiliadis diggle at clear.net.nz
Wed Jun 4 21:56:13 MDT 2008

Thankyou for the reply Randall.
It was good advice.
So to recap:
When fitting new outer washer and thrust washer onto the new trunnions you
have to torque the new outer washer onto the trunnion splines at 50lbs (yeah
right) to get a locking groove in its cente.
I didn't want to reuse the old washers as there were fairly mangled so this is
what happened when I gave it another go.
Yes today was my day because I gave the outer washer splining another go and
at less than 85lb torque the the head of my new trunnion pin snapped.
My mechanic friend said that the outer washer collar has a
centre with a diameter that is to small and needs drilling out.
My mate will now drill out the washer centres and another pin will be fitted
onto the trunnion.
Enough metal will be left to allow it to lock but not too much to stop it from
grooving.
He reckoned that a pin of that diameter should have taken at least 150lbs.
So beware all.

Jim Vassiliadis and his still immobile 1962 TR4