[TR] Battery or Starter Test Results

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Tue Jun 3 16:42:25 MDT 2008

Thanks for all the great input yesterday. The first thing I decided was to
replace the battery as the consensus was that after 6 or so years, it's
living on borrowed time. After hooking it up, the only difference was that
the starter relay and the solenoid went clickity click. Next I turned on the
lights and turned the key to the start position. The lights immediately went
out which indicates a short somewhere. Next was to test for power at the
starter.........except there was steady smoke coming out of the starter!
Looks like I know where the short probably is......but I took Rick Patton's
suggestion and I removed the 3 main cables off of the starter and bolted
them together. I also removed the starter relay cable from the starter.
Turned on the lights, turned the key and the lights stayed on this time, so
the short isn't in the cables. Next up was a call to Ted Schumacher to order
one of his hi-torque starters......except Ted won't have any TR6 starters
until Friday or Monday. Seeing as VB and Moss sell the same starter as Ted's
(wink wink)for almost $300 versus $200 from Ted, I'll wait a week.

Thanks again for all the help.

Bob

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U