[TR] GT6 engine still seized - Bob Kinderlehrer gets the prize

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 18:54:01 MDT 2008

From: Jerrold Le Tourneau <jerrold.letourneau at verizon.net>

> Andrew-
>
> No the spacer is there. I turn the ignition key and hear a whirling
> sound but no engine engagement.

Have been following this post with interest, but am confused.  The original problem is that the engine would not turn over.  Attempts to free it included turning it by hand with the tranny in neutral, and putting the gear in 1st or 2nd, --Randall suggested 4th--and rocking the car back and forth.  Engine still frozen.

The problem has been identified as the starter, since pulling it freed the engine.  Now as I understand it, the starter has been checked and is in working order, and has been reinstalled and is turning but not engaging.

I suppose it could be the solenoid, as suggested.  But could it also have something to do with the ring gear being too chewed up to accept the starter gear, which would also explain the frozen condition in the original post?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire