[TR] TR4 Electrical Issue

Brian Jones banc8004 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 1 06:26:44 MDT 2008

While I'd like to hold the Prince of Darkness responsible for my
issue, its far more likely something I have done. I am puzzled, and
wonder if anyone has a suggestion for resolution.

I reversed polarity on my car, following the set of directions
available anywhere one might wish to look. However, my car is no
longer charging.

I have been using the Lucas Fault Diagnosis Service Manual (actually a
facsimile of same that someone photocopies and sells at some profit on
ebay).

The step-by-step testing tells me:

The armature circuit is 'almost' in range: 1.1 - 1.2V at 1500 revs
(should be 1.5 to 3.0V). I put this down to a somewhat tired 45 year-
old unit.
The field circuit is in range (delivering 2A at about 12V)
The dynamo leads are OK (if having been previously butchered by a PO,
when the 6" pigtails at the dynamo end of the loom were cut off,
inexplicably, then poorly reattached).

However, when I come to compensated voltage control, here is where
things fall down.

The directions for test this are:

Remove and join the A and A1 leads, connect a voltmeter between D and
earth, and increase the speed to get regulation voltage of about 16 -
16.5 volts.
I get nothing, nada, nichts.

The diagnosis suggests....
A faulty control box earth, however, the earth lead on terminal E is
good.
An open circuit shunt winding. If I have an 'open circuit shunt
winding' what do I need to do to fix it?

I manually closed the coil on the control box (engine off, battery
connected) and immediately had begun to let the smoke out of the loom,
on the smaller wire on D that feeds.....the ignition light.

What have I done to cause this failure?

Any and all suggestions welcome. I am tempted to go back to positive
ground just to see if things right themselves....

Brian
1963 TR4