[TR] TR-3 transmission plug

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Jul 29 11:21:27 MDT 2008

In a message dated 7/29/2008 12:05:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:
> >Too bad they didn't continue that policy.
>
> I'm not certain offhand, but I think it was part of the general cost
> reduction program undertaken when Leyland took over.  Lots of other brass
> items were deleted or substituted with less expensive; like door hinges,
> fuel tap, etc.

It's obvious that not drilling and tapping the holes and installing plugs
saves money over not doing so.  Considering how few cars were equipped with OD it
was probably cheaper to tend to this detail only on the cars so equipped
separately.  At some point it was determined that swapping out transmissions was
cheaper than dismantling and rebuilding with O/D.

Dave