[TR] Triumphs and Trophies

Brian.L.Jones at gsk.com Brian.L.Jones at gsk.com
Mon Jul 28 13:19:05 MDT 2008

I'm sorry it's a peeve for you, but I've no intention of anyone judging my
car in a formal way, ever. Its not what I have the car for.

Its a driver, not a show car, and I drive it...errh, at least when I'm not
rebuilding the engine, as in now.

By the same token, think of the garage queens that exist to garner
trophies, being trailered between judging events. They probably don't too
often show up for a decent rally, road trip or AutoX.

These are two different reasons to allow these cars to own us, and they're
equally valid.

I'm happy to explain why I don't 'show' my 10-footer (OK, OK, maybe it's a
20-footer), and its an explanation, not an excuse. Why should I need an
excuse?

It's definitely NOT about frugality, Dennis.

Looking on the bright side of life (as Brians are wont to do), smaller
fields could mean more trophies in your car's lair?

If they start offering recognition for the rich patina of loved use,
rather than whether you've still got the original 17 Pozidrive screws
under the bonnet, I might change my mind.

Then again.....I'd rather be driving.

Brian
TR4 1963 CT 14455-L
Valley Forge, PA

From: Dennis N Culligan <dncullig at us.ibm.com>

    OK, my car show pet peeve  -  the show-eligible cars left in
the parking lot 'cause the owner is too "frugal" to pay the entry
fee and support the organizing club.  The normal excuses:
1. I'm only going to be here an hour (car is often there all day)
2. My car won't win (neither will MOST of the cars)
3. It's not a show car (so what? - support the club!)

   I don't know about others in other parts of the country but EVERY
British car show I have been to this year has had lower attendance
by 1/2 to 1/3 than the year before. This includes shows in New York,
New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Perhaps this whole "car show"
thing is getting old...

Dennis Culligan, Highland, NY/ 1976 TR6 CF57948U - TR6IUMPH