[TR] Trophys & TR's

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 07:48:21 MDT 2008

In a message dated 7/28/2008 6:29:16 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  TR250Driver
writes:

All you have said is right on Mike. It really is an imperfect  world when it
comes to car shows. I have seen all of those peeves. I would  like to add one
more pet peeve of mine. Every now and then results get screwed  up and the
organizers know it.  I once witnessed a person read the  results of a Concours
competition backwards.  In other words the 3rd  place car was announced as
first, 2nd was 2nd and the first place car got  3rd. That can happen and whenever I
am asked to announce results I am  sweating bullets. In this case everyone in
the room knew something was  screwed up but the person who did it and the
organizers of the event did  nothing to correct it. I was the guy in second so no
problem but the guy  who was screwed out of 1st was never seen again.
Way Ouch!
Darrell

That's bad. If I see something wrong with someone else's judging, I'll do
whatever I can to get it fixed, and I have been successful sometimes in the past
 just by pointing out the mistake. I will do it for others (if its an
obvious mistake) but never for myself. Judging is a huge responsibility because  it
can quickly become so personal. I wish attendee would realize it is an awful
lot of work and very stressful.

My club was once invited to judge our car make class at a large meet. Two
"new" cars showed up in our class which we had never seen before. They were
owned by the same guy who had just paid $85k for the pair (1991). We graded the
cars down for chrome plated air filters (not stock),orange ignition cables (sb
 black), blue coil (sb black), red heater hoses  (sb black).

The owner was furious. He was apparentally pretty influential and brought
the show organizer to see me and we discussed each point. I made the mistake of
suggesting he join our club and he would learn what was stock and what
wasn't.  He then assumed we had given the top places to our friends in our single
make club. (The "restorer" had told him these were concours cars and would win
a  lot of trophies). My club was never invited back to that show and oure
class was  merged with another class.
So it goes.

Mike Moore

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.