[TR] TR6 question

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sat Jul 26 07:40:33 MDT 2008

In a message dated 7/26/2008 7:37:37 AM Central Daylight Time,
yellowtr at adelphia.net writes:
> Anyway the mechanic says it has a problem with the smog system causing it
> run rich.
>
> As best I can describe it there are hoses connected to the pcv, carbs and
> what
> looks like a carbon cylinder near the radiator. He has not been able to fix
> the problem.
>
> Is this a big problem? Can all these hoses be removed?
>
> Does something need to be replaced and if so are the parts available?
>
> As you might have guessed I have no experience with smog equipment. My
> experience is with the "normal" engines, TR3A and 4.
>
> Also there is a draw on the battery when everything is turned off. Not sure
> how to go about that but maybe a multi meter etc and help from the list.

The most common cause of rich running is carb adjustment.  A
saturated/clogged charcoal canister can cause problems but rich running is one of the more
minor ones.

You can remove all that stuff but it is all integral to the crankcase
ventilation system and removing that is detrimental to engine longevity.  I suggest
finding another canister and replacing all hoses and get someone who knows
Strombergs to adjust the carbs.  Do a full tuneup.  It'll run fine.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8