[TR] Head Gasket: wellseal or copper spray?

Brian Jones banc8004 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 25 03:34:26 MDT 2008

I broke a pushrod recently. Self inflicted - I hadn't tightened
sufficiently a lock nut on that rod's rocker when adjusting the valves
a few weeks earlier. I was moving pretty quickly when it went, and the
noise was startling!
Anyway, I am putting it back together this weekend. I have 'saw marks'
on the faces of the block and head. I think this was intentional 'back
in the day' for bite for the gasket, or so I have read.

I have a new copper gasket. Given I have these striations, should I
use Wellseal, or the copper spray recommended by Gasketworks?

http://www.headgasket.com/preinstall.html

Has anyone used the copper spray successfully on a gasket for a head
that has an imperfect surface (Its flat, just not smooth)?

Thanks,

Brian