[TR] new 3A stone guards

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 22 18:15:22 MDT 2008

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 06:10 pm, DLylis at aol.com wrote:
> I will be brief in complaining about the horrible fit!  After I trim  and
> fit, should a sealant be used between the stone guard and the fender to
> prevent a repeat of the rusting out of the fender behind the stone guard?
>
> David  Lylis
> 69 TR6 CC26160L
> 60 TR3A TS74461LO

David,

I have never heard of anyone using any sealant between the stone guards and
the fender/lower quarter panel.

I restored my 58 in '79 and have had no rust in that area or any other. But I
only drive in the spring-summer-fall and sand, etc. are not allowed to
collect anywhere.

Now I have seen rust in those areas but it looked to me that it started from
the inside of the fender/quarter panel not from trapped moisture between the
guard and fender.

But that does not mean you cannot try to seal them. I just dont think it is
necessary if you keep the car clean on the outside and inside and dont drive
in dirty / sandy / salty conditions. Also garage that car!

This might be too late, but I have seen stone guard sets on ebay from time to
time. THe aftermarket variety has had only bad press.

Bob