[TR] tr3 best improvement

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jul 21 11:54:44 MDT 2008

> You almost never hit that point unless you are throwing the 3 deep into
> a curve and powering out.

I've been pondering that statement; as I routinely drove up to the point
where the axle touched the frame just commuting to work (before adding the
sway bars).  Having the tail step out didn't seem like a real good idea,
since I was usually passing someone on the inside at the time.  (We have
several freeway interchanges around here with 2-lane ramps, and I dislike
slowing down for ramps <g>)

I've also ridden in other's TR3s where the rear springs seemed noticeably
stiffer than mine, even though they claimed they were stock.

What may be happening is that the rear springs are rusty where the leaves
make contact, making the spring much stiffer and effectively increasing the
roll rate in the rear.  Almost immediately after getting TS39781LO, I
cleaned, painted and greased the rear springs, which made a very noticeable
difference in ride quality.  But I hadn't really driven it hard before that
point (and my previous TR3A had a TR4 rear axle, making it a poor
comparison).

Anyway, it's just a thought.

Randall